If your pencil breaks, here’s how to sharpen a pencil with a knife.
Steps How to Get a Sharp Pencil With a Knife
- Hold the pen with the distal tip of the body, with your nondominant hand. (If you are left-handed, hold the pencil with your right hand).
- Hold a razor or knife in your dominant hand.
- Place the knife about an inch above the mine at an angle of 45 degrees. aim the knife to be away from your body!. This is a golden rule when using tools: Keep your body away from the toolpath is a hammer, a screwdriver, or anything else.
- Apply light pressure and move the knife blade to the outside and down.
- Turn the pen after each movement of the knife to the mine is exposed to the maximum.
- Finally, clean the pencil shavings. (Do this over a trash can to minimize waste.)
- Clean the knife blade of mine waste and other wastes.
Advice How to Get a Sharp Pencil With a Knife
- This is only recommended if you do not have access to a pencil sharpener or need a larger exposed tip to draw.
- Sharpening a pencil with a knife can be useful for carpenter pencils and other odd shapes or sizes that do not fit in a pencil sharpener.
- If you really need, also a pair of scissors can work well. Simply open the scissors completely and use the scissor blade to sharpen the pencil.
Warnings How to Get a Sharp Pencil With a Knife
- Be careful. It’s easy to cut your fingers while using a knife to sharpen a pencil. Beware of others!
- Whatever you DO NOT BRING A KNIFE TO SCHOOL. You are likely to get in trouble. Instead, you can borrow from another person or use scissors sharpener.
Things you need
A knife or blade